Monday, September 15, 2008

The perfect Salad for Stale Bread

Stale Bread.
Yes, sometimes, we don't eat all our bread or I over bake a loaf or two and it sits around for a few days.
Yes, it happens.
Just like everything else in life... the new becomes old hat.
Don't get me wrong... I'm not stopping baking my own bread... I've realized how much money I save making and baking my own... plus... it's totally fun, and it's a habit making the dough now.
But... Like the saying goes... Man does not live my bread alone.
So... the Italians are geniuses at coming up with recipes to use absolutely everything up so there is no waste, and one of our favorite salads is
Panzanella Salad.
I may have already blogged about it... but it is so good, it deserves a second mention.
It is basically just a tomato salad with bread cubes in it, but it is just so delicious, and my kidlets ADORE IT!
So...
Cut up a bunch of tomatoes
thinly slice an onion
chopped some parsley, basil and oregano
or use an Italian dry blend
Season and dress with Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, salt and pepper
and just before serving
cut stale bread into one inch cubes and toss them in.
Your taste buds with thank you!
MMMMMmmmmm....
So good!

1 comment: